What went wrong?
Why did the Australian people decide they wanted a corrupt lying scumbag?
- *Latham's image. People are still wary of him.
- *Only one newspaper in the whole country (thank you Canberra Times) supported Latham. Two sat on the fence. The rest all went for Howard. And people say there isn't a biased media.
- *INTEREST RATES. Labor should have focused their own campaign on this. Most people associate the Liberals with good economic management. Why didn't the ALP do their best to show how this isn't true? Think about it. If you think all politicians are corrupt, which many people do, you'd probably be more impressed with the one that offered better financial credentials. These people probably assumed that Latham would do all the horrible things Howard has done. These same people are very worried about finances. The financial scare tactics of the Liberal Party worked.
- *Focusing on Costello becoming PM. What a stupid ad campaign. I'd rather have Costello than Howard. Besides, haven't the ALP been saying this for a while? Didn't they say it last election campaign? Personally, I think Howard's going to be in power until he dies.
- *The terrorism factor. People get scared, they go for what is safe. The ALP should have focused on the government's quite poor record on Terrorism (Could somebody please tell me this: Why do Bush and Howard get lauded for stopping terrorism, when huge acts of terrorism happened on their watch? There's so much proof that Bush had been warned about a major terrorist attack happening. President Gore and Prime Minister Beazley would have been fighting terrorism just as hard.
- *The stupid forest policy. Badly explained, badly timed.